Gogo has successfully completed the initial phase of flight testing for its Gogo Biz 4G service. It says this marks a significant milestone in the company’s development of a new generation of connectivity and enhanced capabilities for business aviation.
John Wade, Gogo Business Aviation’s Executive Vice President and General Manager, said: “Gogo Biz 4G will deliver a true 4G in-flight experience on a robust, reliable network that business aircraft operators can count on.
“The flight-test performance has exceeded our expectations to date. Market interest is high and we remain on track for the first shipments in early 2017.”
During a recent four-hour flight-test sortie aboard the company’s Challenger 600 testbed, multiple streaming video and streaming audio sessions were conducted simultaneously on a variety of devices – including laptops, tablets and phones.
To see it in action, check out Gogo’s video of the flight test.
Gogo says testing was conducted at full range from the respective ground sites – up to 150 miles – at typical business aircraft cruise altitudes (30,000-34,000 feet) in a live commercial environment with a plethora of other connected airline and business aircraft traffic in the vicinity.
The flight profiles covered both rural and congested urban areas – including the departure and arrival corridors for Chicago O’Hare, the nation’s second-busiest airport and the fifth busiest in the world. Flight testing was conducted using fully-certified hardware on Gogo’s advanced air-to-ground network.
Gogo Biz 4G
Gogo Biz 4G is a specially-designed application of Gogo’s latest air-to-ground technology that leverages its existing air-to-ground network and technology that has already flown hundreds of thousands of hours aboard thousands of business and commercial aircraft.
The Gogo Biz 4G equipment package will incorporate dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi service and a host of other features – all from a single, lightweight box.
The Gogo Biz 4G solution now includes the following additional capabilities:
- Integrated Gogo Vision service, proving a complete, turn-key in-flight entertainment system, including the latest Hollywood movies, TV, flight tracker, destination weather.
- An integrated Gogo Text & Talk service that allows passengers to call and text with personal smartphones and passengers’ own mobile numbers.
- Smart cabin capabilities, providing rich capabilities such as multi-network management, data compression, connectivity on the ground in more than 120 countries via an integrated 4G terrestrial modem, seamless CMS (Cabin Management System) integration, and much more.
- Customer loyalty programme, with special hardware and airtime incentive programmes with pre-installation provision kits for existing Gogo Biz customers to upgrade to Gogo Biz 4G in early 2017.
- The Gogo Biz 4G upgrade programme that allows business aircraft operators to install a complete Gogo Biz connectivity package today with seamless upgrades to Gogo Biz 4G in early 2017.
The company says Gogo Biz 4G features reliable 4G performance on a proven network in the continental U.S., and large portions of Alaska and Canada.
This includes streaming video and audio from services like Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, Pandora, and Spotify; Face-to-face video conversations; E-mail with attachments; web browsing; voice; VPN support and advanced air-to-ground technology operating on licensed spectrum.
The company’s existing range of Gogo Biz solutions will remain available after Gogo Biz 4G shipments begin.